This is the Gustavus study abroad search engine and application system. To get started, click the "Programs" tab above, or follow the links on the left.
Important Information Regarding Ebola - October 15, 2014
Important Information Regarding Semester and Year-Long programs - November 19, 2014
The CICE has been informed that the Gustavus Tuition Contribution percentage will be 48% for the 2015-16 application cycle. The cost estimates in the 2015-16 Approved Programs Brochure were determined using the 2014-15 percentage. Additional cost estimates will be available to students in the advising process. (See Understanding Program Fees for a full explanation of how semester study away program fees are determined.)
Important Information Regarding Semester and Year-Long programs - October 23, 2014
Application Cycle for Academic Year 2015-16, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 is NOW OPEN on StudioAbroad! -
Clickthe Program tab above. Search and find your program of choice, click on the program title, and then hit the "Apply Now" button. Read about the application process here. Also be sure to read the important application priority and selection and approval critieria posted below.
Important Information Regarding Semester and Year-Long Program - October 1, 2014
Application Priority and Selection and Approval Criteria
CICE Gustavus Adolphus College
Please read this information COMPLETELY
The Center for International and Cultural Education is eager to work with Gustavus students on their semester study away plans. Approximately 50% of students will study away during their undergraduate career at Gustavus, and we are pleased that semester study away students continue to be a contributing factor to the proud tradition of study away with Gustavus.
For semester study away advising, please make use of the amazing CICE Peer Advisors, current students who have studied away for a semester. They provide all first-step advising and are excellent resources. After meeting with a peer advisor, you may then meet with the CICE Study Abroad Advisor, Jill Fischer. To sign up for advising with the peer advisors or Jill, you must stop by the CICE and sign-up on the advising schedules located at the front desk.
(For advising and information on Gustavus Off-Campus January Interim Programs, please contact Linda Shaw in the CICE at email@example.com. For information on the Gustavus Student Teacher Programs in Alaska, New York, Phoenix, France or Spain, please contact the Education Dept. chair, Deb Pitton. For information on the Gustavus Nursing in Alaska Program please contact Barb Zust in the Nursing Dept.)
The maximum number of students who may study away in a given academic year is determined by the study away budget figures set annually by the College’s Budget Committee. In addition, the CICE is required to balance off-campus study away numbers between fall and spring, working toward slightly more students studying away during fall term. What this may mean is that there will be a greater competition for fewer study away slots for spring term than previous years.
We are typically able to accommodate every student who wishes to study abroad, but it is important that you understand there is a possibility your application to study away will not be approved (or you may be wait listed) because of these budget requirements. A wait list may apply to both fall and spring terms, depending on the total number of applications received.
The desire to better balance study away enrollments between fall and spring is connected to the larger budget for Gustavus, and specifically to how study away (students leaving campus) impacts housing on-campus. This is not a CICE decision. If you have concerns about this, please contact CICE Director Carolyn O’Grady or any member of the President’s Cabinet (President Becky Bergman, Provost Mark Braun, Dean of Students JoNes VanHecke, or Vice Presidents Ken Westphal, Tom Young, Tom Crady, and Tim Kennedy).
We encourage students to strongly consider studying away in the fall term if this is a realistic option. We encourage students to apply early. Please read the application priorty, and selection and approval criteria below.
Application Priority, and Selection and Approval Criteria:
- Gustavus Administrated Fall programs: Gustavus Semester in India: Justice, Peace and Sustainable Communities, and Gustavus Entrepreneurship in India program applications will receive priority approvals over all other applications.
- Gustavus Administrated Spring programs: Gustavus Semester in Malaysia: Living Diversity, and Gustavus Semester in Sweden will also receive priority over all other applications.
- Students applying to Gustavus Exchange Programs with Uppsala, Linnaeus, or Mora, Sweden; UIC, Zhuhai, China; USM Penang, Malaysia; Kansai Gaidai, Hirakata City, Japan or Hosei, Tokyo, Japan will be given priority processing and approval for both fall and spring terms. Note that there may be some limits on the number of exchange program spots available, depending on the exchange balance. See Jill Fischer in the CICE for information and advising.
- Other fall and academic year (AY) program applications will be given priority over spring program applications.
- Fall and AY program applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis (as much as possible) as applications are completed (before February 15 and after March 1).
- Spring applications will held until after the CICE March 1 application deadline and reviewed at that time, except in extreme and rare situations that require an earlier CICE review and approval, such as with the IFSA Oxford program, ISLE Sri Lanka, ACM, etc. (i.e. programs which require or highly recommend that a student apply to their program provider BEFORE the normal Gustavus deadline of March 1.)
- The number of spring term study away slots will be dependent upon the number of fall and academic year applications and approvals. Therefore, until fall and AY applications are reviewed and approved, we will not know how many spring application slots there will be. There will be a cap on the number of spring and total applications that the CICE can approve.
- Fall applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis or as quickly after the March 1 deadline as possible. Fall applications will be prioritized at that point by the program provider’s application deadline, those with earlier applications deadlines reviewed first. Fall applicants will be notified of their approval decisions by the end of March.
- Spring applicants will have their applications reviewed after all fall and academic year applications are reviewed. They will be notified of their Gustavus approval by late April/early May (or as quickly as applications can be processed.)
- For all applicants, the entirety of your application will be very important - essay, faculty recommendations, GPA, etc., will be considered. Please make sure to follow the application instructions carefully and, in particular, please ensure that both faculty recommendations are from faculty that have taught you in a full academic course or are from your academic advisor. For students applying to a program with a language requirement, at least one of your recommendations must be from a language faculty member who has taught you. Please also take seriously the essay prompts and make sure to proof-read your essay for content, and grammar and typographical errors. Given the potential for competition for slots, all elements of your application will be reviewed carefully.
- Spring CICE applications that are not complete (with the exception of faculty recommendations) by the March 1 deadline may not be reviewed at all and/or may fall to the end of the priority line. (Faculty members are allowed to submit their recommendations after the March 1 deadline and will retain access to StudioAbroad to do so. However, we cannot review an application that has not been completed.)
- Students who are on academic or disciplinary probation or censure, but are scheduled to be off of probation at the time they are abroad, are allowed to apply for CICE approval. However, their application may fall to the end of the priority line.
- All applicants are asked to complete a Term Flexibility Questionnaire to explain why they are applying for the term they choose, and any extenuating circumstances impacting their decision and/or ability to switch to another term. We understand that due to music, sports or family commitments, some students may be limited as to which term they can study away. We will attempt to be as fair as possible when making decisions.
- It is quite likely that some students who apply for spring term will be placed on a wait list. (Some students applying for fall term may also be wait listed.) Whether or not there is a wait list for spring will depend on the total number of approved applicants for fall and AY, and the total number of applicants for all terms. Students placed on the waitlist will be notified of their position on the waitlist. They may choose to stay on the wait list or be removed and have their application withdrawn at that time. There will be no refund for any application fees.
- Some students who apply for spring study away may be asked to switch to fall term. The CICE will contact students as necessary. Students will not be required to switch to fall term.
- All things being equal, we will approve students who are seniors or for whom studying away in the next year is the only time they can fit it into their time at Gustavus (due to early graduation, program curriculum requirements, etc.). If you have firm plans to graduate early (in less than four years) please make this plan clear in your answer to Term Flexibility Questionnaire (found on StudioAbroad). We will take into consideration all early graduation plans, but cannot guarantee accommodation.
- The CICE application fee for 2015-16 will remain at $65. The application will not be reviewed unless the application fee has been paid. The application fee is non-refundable (even if you are put on a wait list or not approved for study away). In some circumstances, application fees may be transferable to a January interim program application.
- If you have already started your application for spring term and would like to switch to fall term, please email Jill Fischer. She can make the switch internally and you do not need to withdraw this application and start a new one (though that is an option.)
We are optimistic that the Gustavus Tuition Contribution for 2015-16 Semester Study Away will remain at 52% (same as it was for 2014-15) but any changes to this will be posted on StudioAbroad. CICE Study Abroad Advisor, Jill Fischer will review cost estimates with individual students as desired during individual advising sessions. Cost estimates will also be available via the 2015-16 Semester Study Away Approved Programs Brochure, which will be available by mid-October.
Contact / Questions
If you have questions or wish to discuss your situation/circumstances in an advising session, please sign up on Jill Fischer’s advising schedule located at the front desk of the office. For an email consult, email Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org