|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Gustavus applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2021||09/15/2020 **||Rolling Admission||01/02/2021||04/10/2021|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Glossary entry for program parameter 10168Program Partner:
|CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10208Program Term(s):
Glossary entry for program parameter 10164Minimum Class Standing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10167Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10551Language GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10992Prerequisites:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10206Previous Language Study Req?:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10165Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10166Language courses offered:
Glossary entry for program parameter 11139Meet Language Reqt in One Semester?:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10169Housing Options:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10171Areas of Study:
|Anthropology, Art, Art History, Arts, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Communication, Communication Design, Computer Science, Culture, Dance, Developmental Sciences, Earth Science, Economics, Education, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Film, Fine Art, History, Hospitality Management, Humanities, Independent Study, Journalism, Latin American Studies, Law, Linguistics, Literature, Math/Statistics, Media Studies, Philosophy, Photography, Physics, Psychology, Public Health, Religion/Theology, Sciences, Sociology, Spanish, Theatre/Drama, Tourism, Urban Studies|
|Program Design:||Direct Enroll, Hybrid, Study Center||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10212Additional Program Options:
|Community Service, Volunteer|
Raise your strong Spanish language skills to new heights while immersing yourself in the developing Caribbean nation of the Dominican Republic. Along with Spanish language classes, learn about the evolution of society, culture, economics, and politics of Hispaniola and the greater Hispanic Caribbean through liberal arts courses, in Spanish. Courses are taken at CIEE Santiago and our partner school Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM). All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
MAKE THE CARIBBEAN
your classroom, with visits to free trade zones, market towns, museums, and more.
UNWIND IN TROPICAL PARADISE
at Samaná Peninsula, where you’ll marvel at mangroves and more at Los Haitises National park, swim at one of the DR’s most beautiful beaches, and visit to Salto El Limon, home of the magical Lemon Waterfall.
BOOST THE SKILLS YOU NEED
for a global career by earning a Teach English as a Second Language certificate or completing a course in community service.
Excursions & Activities
- Take a break from Santiago with trips to Rio Blanco, Constanza or Rio Limpio for one weekend of work and play in the rural Dominican Republic.
- Day trips include visits to the Capital and Zona Colonial; the Hermanas Mirabal Museum in Salcedo; La Vega during Carnaval season; or the market town of Dajabón, the principal commercial and economic development zone on the Haitian-Dominican border.
- Field trips are part of many academic classes. You might visit agricultural and industrial projects, free trade zones, museums, clinics, schools, and nonprofits.
- Take your pick of nonstop activities offered weekly – volunteering, day trips, class trips, helping with PUCMM events like health promotions and educational fairs, and more.
- Integrate cultural and language mastery in a community-based and cross-cultural context.
- Volunteer by caring for challenged infants and children, helping young boys at a baseball academy, assisting an elementary school teacher, caring for young mothers – these are all ways to connect with members of Dominican communities.
- Swap cultural tips with a Dominican or Haitian student as you complete assignments together during the CIEE ICL in Santiago.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Dominican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us