|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Gustavus applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2019||03/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||07/29/2019||12/05/2019|
|Spring||2020||09/15/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Glossary entry for program parameter 10168Program Partner:
|CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10208Program Term(s):
Glossary entry for program parameter 10164Minimum Class Standing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10167Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10992Prerequisites:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10206Previous Language Study Req?:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10165Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10166Language courses offered:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10169Housing Options:
|Homestay, Residence Hall||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10171Areas of Study:
|African Studies, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Culture, Developmental Sciences, Earth Science, Economics, Education, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, Health and Human Services, History, International Relations, Journalism, Linguistics, Literature, Media Studies, Other Language & Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Public Health, Religion/Theology, Sciences, Sociology, Theatre/Drama, Urban Studies, Women's Studies|
|Program Design:||Direct Enroll, Hybrid, Study Center, Theme based||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10212Additional Program Options:
|Community Service, Field Study, Practicum/Apprenticeship|
With one of Africa's most vital health care systems, Botswana is an ideal place to explore regional, social, and scientific health issues. Learn from successes and failures as you visit and assist at clinics, public health, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and hospitals. Coursework, community outreach, language learning, homestays, and more will open this inspirational country to you, and stay with you always.
SHADOW HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
to experience how healthcare is delivered in and around Gaborone.
SEE HOW MODERN AND TRADITIONAL MEDICINE
impact each other with a stay in a rural village.
GO ON SAFARI
where elephants, hippos, crocs, lions, leopards, and a mind-boggling number of birds wander free.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit a village for a long weekend to learn about the health issues faced in rural settings.
- Practice your skills in Setswana language as you explore historical and cultural sites.
- Get out of the classroom with community-based learning projects.
- Discover Botswana's rich history and biodiversity with excursions to Mokolodi Game Reserve.
Practicum. Shadow healthcare service providers in government-sponsored clinics and the like, learning about scientific and social health issues, and Botswana's healthcare system.
Research. Investigate the impact of gender roles and the HIV/AIDS epidemic, social hierarchies among children, or other public health issues.
Volunteering. Make a tangible difference by donating time and energy at an environmental organization, orphanage, hospice group, soup kitchen, game reserve, or women's shelter.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to local culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us