|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Gustavus applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10168Program Partner:
|CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10208Program Term(s):
Glossary entry for program parameter 10164Minimum Class Standing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10167Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10992Prerequisites:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10206Previous Language Study Req?:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10165Language of Instruction:
|English, Mandarin Chinese||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10166Language courses offered:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10169Housing Options:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10171Areas of Study:
|Anthropology, Asian Studies, Business, Chinese, Culture, Humanities, International Studies, Linguistics, Other Language & Literature, Political Science, Sociology|
With 22 million Chinese-speaking people to share the city with, Beijing is the place to give your Mandarin skills a major boost this summer. With premier instruction, tutoring, homestay, travel, and awe-inspiring icons like the Great Wall and Forbidden City, you'll pack a year's worth of learning into one unforgettable summer.
MAKE MARKED LANGUAGE PROGRESS
with 20 hours of intensive classroom instruction plus 3 hours of tutoring each week.
GET AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CITY
with visits to treasured places only locals know about.
VOLUNTEER OR PARTICIPATE IN ACTIVITIES AND LECTURES
that illuminate coursework and heighten your understanding of Chinese culture.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit incredible sites loaded with history, like Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City.
- Choose a theme-study weekend and expand your horizons. You might visit the birthplace of Confucius in Qufu, as you examine traditional Chinese philosophy; visit the bustling port city Dalian to explore urbanization; or visit a village and hike in northern Shanxi province to dig into the environment and rural governance.
- See contemporary art, and musical and theatric performances, or take a day hike near Beijing.
- Learn about contemporary Chinese issues like international economics, cross-cultural communication, sustainability, and film with a special series of lectures given by scholars and other experts.
- Language Tutoring. To ensure progress in fluency, each student is paired with a PKU graduate student or CIEE instructor for three one-on-one tutorials and one one-to-three Language and Culture Practicum session each week. Tutors practice conversation and help with homework.
- Expert Talk Series: Regular lectures in English by experts in their field.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Chinese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us