|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Gustavus applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10168Program Partner:
|CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10208Program Term(s):
Glossary entry for program parameter 10164Minimum Class Standing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10167Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10992Prerequisites:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10206Previous Language Study Req?:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10165Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10166Language courses offered:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10169Housing Options:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10171Areas of Study:
|Culture, Latin American Studies, Pre-Health, Public Health, Service Learning, Spanish, Urban Studies|
Start your investigation of the complexities of healthcare in developing nations in the Dominican Republic this summer. With classroom instruction plus fieldwork in urban and semi-rural settings, you’ll get a close look and new perspective on the social and health issues facing one of the Caribbean’s poorest countries.
GET TO KNOW
a Dominican family while you improve your Spanish language skills.
with and make a difference for Dominican patients and medical professionals as you work at a semi-rural clinic and in an urban neighborhood.
EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE
of pressing international public health issues.
Excursions & Activities
- Complete a ten-day rotation at a semi-rural medical clinic. Support the efforts of health promoters in marginalized urban neighborhoods.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Six-day orientation – an introduction to Dominican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in and around your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us