The School for Field Studies (SFS) Australia - Rainforests of New Zealand and Australia (Summer I)
Huia, New Zealand; Yungaburra, Australia (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||The School for Field Studies (SFS)|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
SFS AUSTRALIA: RAINFORESTS OF NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
In this dual-country program, study the impacts of environmental and social factors on forest fragmentation in the spectacular, once-vast rainforests of Australia and New Zealand. Compare endangered species management practices, meet with Indigenous communities to learn about their use of forest resources and relationship with the environment, and learn about ecosystem restoration approaches.
- Learn about the Maori people’s connection with nature as you explore the ancient podocarp and Kauri forests of northern New Zealand, which contain trees estimated to be more than 2,000 years old.
Students live and study at the SFS Center for Rainforest Studies. Our Center lies at the end of a narrow, winding road, in the middle of a lush rainforest. The 153-acre property is surrounded by protected World Heritage forests, and you can see incredible wildlife from the front steps of your cabin. Nearby Yungaburra and Cairns provide the occasional return to civilization.
SUMMER COMBINEDTake back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
Visit the SFS website
CONNECT WITH SFS
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram and Facebook
Watch student videos on YouTube and Vimeo
Note: This SFS Session I course can be combined with SFS Session II summer courses.