|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10168Program Partner:
|SIT - School for International Training||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10208Program Term(s):
Glossary entry for program parameter 10164Minimum Class Standing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10167Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10992Prerequisites:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10206Previous Language Study Req?:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10165Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10166Language courses offered:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10169Housing Options:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10171Areas of Study:
|Human Rights, Psychology, Social Justice|
|Program Design:||Short Term, Study Center, Theme based||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10212Additional Program Options:
|Internship (with credit transfer)|
Jordan: Counseling and Humanitarian Action Internship
Learn the principles of humanitarian action and counseling in emergency situations and see firsthand the health services in Jordan, home to millions of displaced persons from Palestine, Iraq, and Syria. Enhance your professional skills during your internship with a community organization, health institution, or international NGO.
Witness the humanitarian responses of UN agencies, including the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), World Health Organization (WHO), and the UN’s International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF).
Learn about common principles, rights, and duties governing humanitarian action as set out in the humanitarian charter, as well as the priority humanitarian interventions and minimum standards across various sectors of humanitarian work, with special emphasis on the health sector.
Learn about risk factors and prevalence of mental illness in refugees, including conflict-related traumas and psychosocial challenges of immigration and assimilation.
Devise a socially responsible response to a problem, or develop a sustainable plan, grant proposal, or research that responds to the need of your organization.
Share personal and professional experiences during weekly discussions and reflection sessions.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
SIT internships are hands-on and reflective. In addition to completing the internship, you will submit a paper processing your learning experience on the job and analyzing an issue important to the organization you worked with, and/or you will design a socially responsible solution to a problem identified by the organization.
- Providing relief to Syrian refugees and vulnerable Jordanians with the International Rescue Committee
- Working with farmers, women, and refugees living in poverty with Care International
- Assisting epidemiologists with the Eastern Mediterranean Public Health Network
- Promoting health awareness with the Jordan Health Aid Society
- Supporting the efforts of Arab Renaissance for Democracy and Development-Legal Aid to raise legal awareness among vulnerable populations, fight injustice, and promote equality
- Assisting the International Committee of the Red Cross’s humanitarian responses to Syrian refugees and Jordanian host communities
- Helping Palestinian refugees get access to healthcare with the United Nations Works and Relief Agency for Palestine Refugees
Money MattersBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.3 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- The SIT Pell Grant Match provides matching grants to all students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding when it is applied to an SIT Study Abroad semester program.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT.