|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2021||09/15/2020 **||Rolling Admission||01/04/2021||05/08/2021|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Perched on the banks of the Huangpu River and the East China Sea, Shanghai is China’s largest city by population, and a global hub of culture, commerce, and finance. Massively redeveloped over the past 20 years, the city boasts many of the world’s latest and greatest. The list includes uber-tall buildings stretching up in the new financial district and the world’s fastest-growing rapid-transit system featuring the world’s first commercial high-speed Maglev train.
Experience Shanghai your way by customizing your study abroad experience through our Open Campus program. Enroll in one, two, or three six-week blocks for your perfect amount of intensive study and cultural engagement, select your academic track from six options, then pick your courses from a wide range of subject areas.
GET HANDS-ON CULTURAL EXPERIENCE
by learning Chinese cooking, calligraphy, martial arts, music, or mahjong
STROLL THE PEDESTRIAN MALL ON NANJING ROAD
Shanghai’s most famous street and the epicenter of busy commercial life in the city. See the dazzling city lights at night at its terminus, The Bund, former home to many western banks and their striking facades
STEP BACK IN TIME
with visits to traditional water towns like Wuzhen and Zhujiajiao
Excursions & Activities
- In each block, students participate in a study tour to another region, which could include Beijing, Xi’an, Nanjing, or Xiamen Day trips: Zhujiajiao – a preserved water town in Suzhou
- Activities: Shanghai Film Museum, Shanghai Volkswagen site visit, site of the First Communist Party Congress, Jewish Museum
Projects, Volunteering, or Internships
- Volunteer Opportunities: Teach at schools for children of migrant workers, mainly on the outskirts of the city. Get involved in volunteer programs in hospitals, parks, schools, after school programs, homes for the elderly. Work with local environmental groups to help maintain public parks and learn about cultural nuances in the process. Volunteer to coach sports and games to local youths.
Students interested in one of the following Academic Projects must submit additional materials as part of their course selection:
- Internships: Internship opportunities are available as part of the study program in a variety of businesses and NGOs in both private and public organizations.
- Research: Pursue a research project of your own design incorporating independent and local fieldwork.
- Service-Learning: Combine course-based learning with practical, relevant project experience to meet a community-defined need.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport pick-up
- Multi-day on-site orientation – introducing students to Shanghai civic and culture, and the CIEE academic program
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight study tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
If you're interested in the Global Scholars Program (more than one study abroad site in the same semester), see the Global Scholars Program brochure.