|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2021||09/15/2020 **||Rolling Admission||01/04/2021||05/08/2021|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Study Abroad in the Yucatan Peninsula
Mérida is a beautiful, historic, colonial city centrally located on the Yucatán Peninsula just 20 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. It is surrounded by biodiverse nature reserves, UNESCO archaeological sites, and historic "Pueblos Mágicos," where visitors get an authentic glimpse of Mexico's deep history. Mérida attracts visitors from around the globe to its boutique hotels, excellent restaurants, museums, theaters, and sports facilities. Researchers and students are in good company, as Mérida hosts more than a dozen universities and several national research facilities.
CELESTÚN NATIONAL PARK
is home to mangroves and thousands of pink flamingos that flock there during the winter months
Marvel at the centerpiece of Mayan civilization and the astronomical precision of El Castillo's – "the Castle's" – design
GRAN MUSEO DEL MUNDO MAYA
Mérida's new world-class museum explores Yucatan's past, from its geological origin to the present
Excursions & Activities
- Explore the ruins of Chichén Itzá – one of the most famous pre-Columbian cities built by the Maya. Challenge yourself to climb the massive step pyramid - El Castillo.
- Attend a Maya purification ritual in the Sacamucuy cenote then swim in its crystal-clear waters.
- Tour the world-class science facilities of Mérida's Technological and Scientific Park, home to seed banks, botanical gardens, centers for sustainable conservation of natural resources, and more.
- Venture to Campeche, an ancient Mayan city just two hours south of Mérida surrounded by the largest tropical rainforest reserve in Mexico.
Projects, Volunteer Opportunities, or Internships
- Volunteer with the Science and Research Center of Yucatán (CICY)
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-week orientation – an introduction to Mexican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
If you're interested in the Global Scholars Program (more than one study abroad site in the same semester), see the Global Scholars Program brochure.